HELP SUPPORT THIS BLOG

Popular Posts

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Pizza

I felt like making a pizza.  I had purchased sliced provolone cheese.  It was on sale.  Usually I make pizza crust with one packet of quick rise yeast, a spoon of honey, warm (not hot) water and flour.  Add the yeast to the warm water in a large bowl.  Mix in the honey and sprinkle a bit of flour on the surface.  Soon you see the yeast grow.  The honey and flour feed the yeast.  I mix in more flour until the dough is a thick, doughy, kneadable consistency, and knead for a few minutes.  If the dough is too wet, I add flour until the dough is a nice, kneadable, play-dough, consistency.  I knead the dough in the large mixing bowl I used to mix the ingredients.  When the dough is a slightly elastic, smooth consistency, I lightly dust the dough ball with flour, place it in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel to keep it dark, and let it rise for about a half hour.  A half hour later, you have a nice, risen dough, which can be lightly floured again, tossed or rolled out to form pizza dough in your pan.

The problem was, I had no yeast in the house and did not want to venture out in the 110 degree heat, so I made a dough with flour, baking soda, and water.  This worked well, except that the dough was a little too wet and I ran out of flour.  The only way I could get the gooey dough spread thin was to spray the dough with cooking oil and spread it by hand, in the pan.  This required some effort, but worked.  No rising time required.

the basil plant with small white flowers in the Southwest Desert
I usually do not cook much in the heat of summer.  This was to be my holiday weekend pizza.  I find that pizza is best with a thin coating of red sauce.  I did not want to open a quart jar of sauce just for the pizza, so I used ketchup.  It added a nice, subtle sweetness and worked perfectly as that thin layer of red topped with thin slices of provolone.  On top of the provolone was a generous scattering of chopped, fresh cut basil that I elected to harvest before the insects get it, and one, rough chopped, fresh, garlic clove.  That's all.

I baked it in a 400 degree (F) oven, a very decadent summertime indulgence.  Usually I bake a yeast crust at 425 to 450 degrees, but I was not sure how this experimental crust would cook.  The 400 degree oven worked fine, baking for the usual 15 minutes.  The crust did not rise as much as a yeast crust, but it was surprisingly delicious, and there is enough left for a meal tomorrow.  I serve it with a salad.  I used organic romaine lettuce cut across the bunch every inch, and red bell pepper cut in rough half inch cubes. I added a tiny bit of dressing so as to allow the flavors of the raw salad ingredients to be present.  The texture of the salad and the taste of the fresh red bell pepper complimented the pizza perfectly.  I am so pleased with the result that I may substitute ketchup for red sauce in my future pizzas.  The flavor, consistency, and  convenience pleasantly surprised me.

As we look forward to the 4th of July, Independence Day, the weather here is sure to stay well over 100 degrees (F) every day.  We can feel the monsoon heavy in the air, but no substantial rains yet.  I wish you all a safe and enjoyable 4th of July.  Hope you get to see a fireworks show, although many areas have banned them this year because of the fire hazard.  I will look up in the sky after dark, hopeful...
As ever,
Southwest Desert Blogger
C. (c)2011

No comments:

Post a Comment