HELP SUPPORT THIS BLOG

Popular Posts

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

High Raw?

I have heard the term "high-raw vegan" bandied about.  I assumed these folks were raw foods vegans who were stoned high hippies or just on a natural high from all their raw vegan foods.  I have recently been told that the term high-raw vegan refers to folks who are vegans eating mostly raw food.  The term "mostly" is somewhat subjective.  A number of supposedly 100 percent raw vegans eat honey.  Honey, as I understand it, is not a vegan food.  It is made by the labor of bees.  Yet, honey can be raw.  Also, a food can be raw and not vegan or even vegetarian (think sashimi sushi).

It is a challenge to be 100 raw vegan.  There is too much thinking you have to do.  Is the product I purchased really raw as the label states?  Is it 100 percent raw, or is the word "raw" just a marketing tool to move high priced goods off the shelf and increase profit margins?  Has my raw food been kept at low enough temperatures during transport to still qualify as raw?  Does a supermarket scanner render it un-raw?  (I don't think so, as the seeds still sprout after being scanned.)

sprouted seeds grown in a jar
To simplify matters you could eat food you grow or harvest yourself.  Then, you know it is raw.  Barring that, you could eat only raw fruits and vegetables, and seeds and nuts that sprout.  If they are heated excessively, or  irradiated, they will not sprout.  Thus, if they sprout, they are alive and raw seeds.

You better get expert advice if you plan on being a long-term 100 percent raw vegan.  There may be hazards to your health.  One of the main hazards, assuming your sprouts are fresh and clean, is that the vegan (and sometimes vegetarian) diet may be woefully low in vitamin B12.  This can have serious health consequences.  I will give you a video link that explains it in more detail.  Personally, I take a good quality sublingual B12.
http://www.rawradianthealth.com/blog/?s=b12+
There is a lot of good information on this site, how to sprout, make almond nut milk (I just soak the almonds for 12 hours or more, drain the soak water and add 3 cups of fresh water, add 3 dates, blend all in a good standard blender, and strain through a fine strainer over a bowl; it tastes great in coffee, which I haven't had for 7 days!), other good, easy recipes, and interesting health related information.  Get the free e-Book of juice and smoothie recipes http://www.rawradianthealth.com/and stroll around the site for excellent free videos, easy raw recipes (save energy, use the stove less!) and info on the very well thought out, planned, and doable 7 Day Raw Food Challenge.


I have come to realize I AM (to coin a phrase) a high-raw omnivore.  The simple raw foods, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and raw oil have been good for me.  This week I AM a 100 percent raw vegan.  However, I cannot say that I will never spend time with Ben and Jerry again in my life.  They just aren't looking as attractive as they used to. 


Stay cool.  Have a nice salad, add few pieces of  apple, peach, nectarine, or orange and some walnuts. Add a few ice cubes to your smoothie.  It's easy.


I AM high-raw
Southwest Desert Blogger
C. (c)2011

No comments:

Post a Comment