HELP SUPPORT THIS BLOG

Popular Posts

Monday, June 27, 2011

112 Degrees (F.) and 4 Percent Humidity

Howdy folks,
Today, as I write this, the temperature is 112 degrees (Fahrenheit).  The humidity is 4 percent.  It's hot and it's dry.  The forecast is ten percent chance of rain by end of the week.  Not very good odds.  The odds go up to twenty percent chance of rain during the weekend.  Do I think it will rain?  Let me put it this way:  I'm not running to Las Vegas to place a bet on it.

The nighttime low temperatures hover around 80 degrees.  Life in the Southwest Desert goes on at a slower pace.  Cars roll down the street at a measured distance from each other.  There is significantly less traffic this time of year because the snowbirds, i.e., folks who leave this climate for homes up north where the summers are cooler, are gone.  Year round residents who can afford a vacation may leave for the shores of California, a visit to out of town friends or relatives, and high altitudes or latitudes.  Folks with limited budgets and poor cooling systems frequent movie theaters, indoor shopping malls, or eateries where they can linger in the commercial air conditioning.  An air conditioned vehicle is welcome relief from the heat.

Ice water is the drink of choice in the heat of the day.  I have heard the crabby critique that ice water is not good for digestion, but as a stand alone drink, it hits the spot when you are working in the heat.  Drink early; drink often.  You will probably be sweating more than usual and need to be well hydrated.

I see folks from Northern countries frequent this blog.  I wonder why they are fascinated with the Southwest Desert.  I know why I am fascinated by the Southwest Desert.  It is a unique environment with unusual flora and hearty fauna.  The desert teaches you to use your resources wisely and be grateful for all you have.  The desert environment can be harsh in the summer with severe heat and sudden monsoons.  But it can be pleasant at different times of day and night and different seasons.  The heat of the summer has a dreamlike quality.  We are lucky to have water, transportation, and cooling systems.  We are lucky to have shade, refrigeration and freezers for foods, and experts to repair and maintain the systems and appliances.

If I had a solar car I could park in the sun, and the sun could charge the car's battery, and the car could run off of that charge, it would be efficient for me .  If the roof of my house could store solar energy like a battery, and power my appliances and lights, that would be real progress.  We were made for solar out here.  Where are the innovators, inventors, and affordable prototypes.  Seems only rich folks and government buildings can afford solar panels.  The heck with retrofitting, just build all the new structures with state of the art solar collectors.  When will the roof of my car be a solar collector?  This may not work for folks in Seattle, but it would be of interest to me.

I AM
Southwest Desert Blogger
C. (c)2011 













.

No comments:

Post a Comment