HELP SUPPORT THIS BLOG

Popular Posts

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Got a Sprouter?

I got a new 4 tier sprout tower.  I had been growing sprouts in a jar for years, but decided I would like the sprouts to grow straight up instead of in a cylinder the way they do in a jar.  I chose a 4 tier plastic model with cylinder shaped trays.  The trays are translucent plastic.  I just water the top tray and the water drips down into the trays below and finally into a fitted collection dish.  Just empty the collection dish before the next watering and the sprouts grow.  The four tray system produces a rotating crop of salad and soup sprouts.  I find the fine sprouts (salad sprouts such as alfalfa, broccoli, radish, clover) are easier to clean when they grow straight plus I prefer the aesthetics of the straight sprouts. 

I enjoy using this vertical sprout growing system.  It saves counter space, looks good, works well and only requires watering twice a day.  I water the sprouts first thing in the morning and again about twelve hours later.  I soak the sprouting seeds about 8 hours.  The cool weather requires a longer sprouting and growing time than the summer.  I wrap a dish towel around the sprouter if the temperatures in the house are particularly cool.  The towel also creates a darker environment for the first few days of sprouting.  I rotate the sprouting trays so that the newest seeds are in the lower trays.  When the sprouts get as tall as the trays are deep, I just prop an empty tray, up side down, over the tall sprouts thus creating a higher ceiling.  That way the sprouts can grow a bit taller without being cramped.  If all four trays are in use, I  just prop a light plastic bowl over the top tier in lieu of the flat cover that comes with the sprouter.  See the photos.
Just one teaspoon of alfalfa, radish, broccoli sprouts produced the tray on the left.  I harvested some from the middle of the tray this morning. The extra tray is on the lower right of this photo.
:
:
:
The photo below shows mixed lentils, peas, and adzuki beans in two phases of growth. Discard any beans, lentils, or seeds that do not sprout or appear unhealthy in any way.
I like lentil, bean, and pea sprouts in miso or other soup.  They add a nice, chewy, alive quality.


A mere teaspoon of alfalfa, radish, and broccoli seed is soaking in the little glass bowl on the right of the above photo.  This evening I will drain and rinse these seeds in a fine strainer and they will be placed in the empty extra tray (stacked below the alfalfa tray in this photo) before I water the tower.
It is important to clean the sprout trays after harvest as well as cleaning the bottom water collection tray every few days.  This is as simple as just using a brush, sponge, or dish cloth with soap and hot water. Some sources say to clean the sprouter with a solution of bleach or something like that to kill any potentially harmful organisms that may be growing in the humid environment of the sprouter.  Some sources say to use vinegar to clean the sprouter.  Always rinse any cleaning products off the sprouter before you use it.  The tiny holes in the trays, that allow the water to flow through to the tray below, may get clogged with a tiny seed or root from time to time.  A tooth pick or pin can be used to clear these water drainage holes as needed.  Of course, with any food preparation area, the sprouter should be kept very clean.   This is not a hobby for the slothful or slovenly.

The only down-side to this and similar plastic sprouters is that they may not be dishwasher safe.  I have heard that some similar sprouters only tolerate 3 or 4 washings in the dishwasher.  I have not put mine in a dishwasher.  It only takes a minute or 2 to wash it by hand.

Watching seeds sprout in the winter,
Southwest Desert Blogger
C. (c)2011

No comments:

Post a Comment