I was a holy rollin' raw vegan for 10 days. Then I tried some cooked food. It tasted OK. Each day for the next 4 days I had some cooked food. Just some. I was still eating mostly raw food and drinks. By the fourth day I had a cooked dinner with salad. It was too much. It tasted good. I enjoyed it. But I missed the feeling of the lighter raw food, so I have returned to the high-raw (i.e., mostly raw and most days all raw) life.
I went to the store I will lovingly call Holy Foods. It is a very expensive health food supermarket. I wanted some interesting fresh greens, organic lemons, and ginger from Hawaii. I strolled around the produce section where there is both organic and conventional produce. I found the most perfectly ripe, large avocado. It cost $3, but the little organic avo's I had been purchasing at the grocery store cost $2, and they were small. I purchased the large $3 avo. It was the tastiest avocado I have had in a long time. Just divine.
I also found some large leaf rainbow chard. I juice the chard, stem and all, with carrot, celery, cucumber, a little beet root, and a small piece of ginger root. Basically, I juice what I have in the fridge. Usually I add one or two stems of chard per pint of vegetable juice, so as not to have the green overpower the other vegetables. In lieu of chard, I may use lettuce (romaine works well) or spinach.
The avocado, chard, one lemon, and a generous amount of ginger root cost me over $10. It was a small amount of food, but I am enjoying the quality. This organic food could become one expensive habit. Maybe I will be so fortified by the organic produce that I will be able to eat less.
I read a small book about raw food by Joe Alexander. Joe is an artist and claims that his art changed after he became raw. The colors became brighter and the style of the figures was more elegant and beautiful. The name of the book is Blatant Raw Foodist Propaganda! How could I resist that title? It was hiding in a used book store. Although the book is copyrighted 1990, Joe encourages quoting the book so that others may learn of these ideas. I hope to do that in future blogs, but now I want to go to Holy Foods and see whether there are any more of the wonderful super avocados.
Back in the Saddle Again,
Southwest Desert Blogger P.S. check out this excellent link for raw vegan info, FREE juice and smoothie recipes e-Book, videos, and a super 7 Day Raw Food Challenge and 10 Day Juice Feast. I have learned so much from this info. http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?af=1383344
C. (c)2011
Life in the Desert Southwest -- consumer issues, product reviews, juicers, raw food, don't get ripped off or scammed, etc. Click on one of the Popular Posts and scroll down to view the full text, or keep scrolling down for the Chronological Posts, Alphabetical Index of Topics, and Desert Slide Show. If these posts help you or entertain, please donate whatever you can with the PayPal "Donate" button, even $1 or $2, to help support this effort. Gratefully yours, Southwest Desert Blogger
HELP SUPPORT THIS BLOG
Popular Posts
-
Today it is 100 degrees (Fahrenheit) in the shade and bound to get hotter as the afternoon progresses. Enough small talk. The news is, I ...
-
Howdy folks, Today, as I write this, the temperature is 112 degrees (Fahrenheit). The humidity is 4 percent. It's hot and it's dr...
-
Reader comments and feedback regarding the Omega VRT 350 HD Juicer: Dave wrote, "...a little bit slow and noisy..." Anonymou...
-
Lost your Jack LaLanne's Power Juicer Crescent Tool? That's the search term of the week. I've seen it before, so here is what ...
-
It was nice, cool, and cloudy this morning but the sun came out. As I've told you before, the skies are not cloudy all day here in the ...
-
Summer has hit the point of entropy*. Nothing much is happening. Everything is hot. The water is hot. The air is hot. The breeze is hot...
-
What is going on with folks who drive the Toyota Prius car? I don't know how it is in your town, but out here, folks who drive a Prius ...
-
I once heard Ralph Nader speak at the nearest state university. You might think this sort of event would not be well attended in a red stat...
-
Today the Sun and Moon are both in the astrological sign of Pisces -- the fish. It is new moon this afternoon in the Southwest Desert and t...
-
We have a break in the monsoonal weather so I have been outside looking for flowers. I found several tiny mammillaria cacti, growing in the...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment