HELP SUPPORT THIS BLOG

Popular Posts

Monday, September 5, 2011

Juice Fast

Three Pounds of Little Organic Apples
It is still hot and somewhat humid in the Southwest Desert.  It is just shy of 100 degrees (F.) and just over 50% humidity.  Everyone is getting tired of the summer heat and ready for it to cool.  I haven't felt like eating much so I decided to do a 10 day Juice Fast.  The juice fast or feast includes as much juice as one needs.  The average expected consumption is 12 to 16 cups of fruit and vegetable juices per day, as desired.  Sounds like a lot.  You can get the idea from the FREE e-book of juices and smoothies at   http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?af=1383344 .  That site also has info about the 10 day juice fast.  I will keep you posted as I progress with the fast.

So far I have purchased a watermelon, a pound of mixed baby greens, 2 bok choy leaves (because I am not sure I like bok choy in juice), 3 bunches celery, 1 cucumber, 1 half head green cabbage, 5 pounds carrots, 1 very large beet, 3 pounds little red apples (the photos above), 2 oranges, 6 little kiwi, 1 lime and a bunch of little lemons.  Most of that is organic.  We will see how long that lasts.  I estimate 2 to 3 days.

If you follow my blog you know I grow basil.  It is still looking good.  I cover the plant that is in full afternoon southwest desert sun to prevent it from burning.  On shady days and at night I uncover it.  I am told I can add a leaf or 2 to a pint of vegetable juice.  It seems to lend itself to tomato based juice.  I am cautioned not to add too much basil.  Perhaps some garlic or onion with that tomato basil juice.  Almost a liquid pizza sans cheese.

I may get brave and add some kale to juice this week.  I don't like kale.  I don't understand the allure of kale.  I fear even one kale leaf will destroy a perfectly good juice.  But I also remember that I used to fear green smoothies and they are quite good.  I can even load more than the suggested amount of baby spinach into a smoothie and like it.  See some of my July posts for my green smoothie adventures and yesterday's blog post for my secret smoothie ingredients.  Also, do download the free e-book from the link in the earlier part of this post.

Finally, what juicer do I use?  It is a Juiceman Jr. that is over 16 years old and still going.  It is fussy with greens, but I have learned to do all I can with it.  I have looked at the new fangled juicers and may treat myself to one someday.  For now, the old tried and true Juiceman Jr. will be with me through the next 10 days of over 100 cups of juice. 

Off we go on a juicy adventure,
your Southwest Desert Blogger
C. (c)2011
 P.S.  Let me gift you a code for $5 off any purchase at www.iherb.com .  They sell nutritional supplements, raw supplements, raw and organic food such as tahini, coconut oils, energy bars, goji, etc., herbs, teas, organic and natural shampoos, conditioners, skin creams and lotions, cosmetics, dry skin brushes, Madre Labs acai and Cafeceps, soaps such as Dr. Bronner's Castile, raw cacao, organic chia seed, hemp seed, seaweed, nuts, seaweed noodles, oils, homeopathics, organic pet food, etc. at discounts.  Currently, they ship free for orders of $20 or more.  They also ship internationally.  Just enter code WAL660 at check out.    Plus, there are helpful product reviews.   And more free:  iherb offers a variety of FREE PRODUCTS to sample, so be sure to select one with your order.  I think you will find iherb prices lower than your local store.  It is interesting to browse www.iherb.com so check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment