HELP SUPPORT THIS BLOG

Popular Posts

Monday, October 17, 2011

Having Fun With My Old Juicer

Still waiting for the replacement Omega VRT350HD vertical juicer to arrive.  In the meantime, I am juicing better than ever with my 16 year old juicer.  This is an older compact juicer.  It is small but does a good job.  It is centrifugal and fast.  It does greens if you put them through slowly and roll the large leaf greens such as kale and chard like cigars.  I first fold the leaf stem over the leaf so that it is in the center of the leaf, then roll the leaf like a cigar with the stem as the core.  Sometimes I need to push it all the way into the juicer with a carrot.  I have gotten an ounce or two with two very large chard leaves put through the juicer this way.  Parsley can be less productive though the juicer instruction book says to bunch it up in a ball and push it through.  The quality of the juice is smooth and pulp-free!  Heaven.

The old Juicer is eating up the celery.  I just cut the stalks in half lengthwise and out comes the juice -- no strings, no jams, nor errors.  The juicer produces a fine celery juice stalk after stalk.  I do not have to rotate the produce I insert.  I can juice all carrots (seems to produce more juice, certainly quicker than the Omega VRT350 HD), then switch to beets, celery, and a couple of handfuls of spinach.  The problem with the verbal Omega instruction to rotate the produce, i.e., juice one carrot, a 1/3 length of celery stalk, a piece of beet, a  piece of apple, then another carrot, celery, etc., is that one cannot measure the ounces of juice produced by a particular type produce.  How will I know when I have juiced one ounce of green juice or 4 ounces of carrot juice?  I think knowing how much green juice has been produced is important because I do not want to overpower the juice with too much green, yet want to get at least one or 2 ounces of green juice per pint.

I am currently growing a 12 inch diameter pot of wheatgrass.  I expect to test my new, replacement Omega VRT350HD with a handful of wheatgrass.  I am wondering whether I can replace some of the pricey greens with home grown wheatgrass.  I will have to experiment and see how much wheatgrass it takes to produce an ounce of juice.  From videos I have seen, it should be an economical trade off. [It did not go as expected as future posts reveal. The replacement juicer was a saddening disappointment.] Where will I grow a rotating crop of wheatgrass? 

Free Stuff for you: While we wait for the replacement VRT350HD juicer to arrive, let me give you a code for $5 off first purchase at www.iherb.com .  They sell nutritional supplements, raw supplements, raw and organic food such as tahini, coconut oils, energy bars, goji, etc., herbs, teas, organic and natural shampoos, conditioners, skin creams and lotions, cosmetics, dry skin brushes, Madre Labs acai and Cafeceps, soaps such as Dr. Bronner's, raw cacao, organic chia seed, hemp seed, seaweed, nuts, kelp noodles, oils, homeopathics, organic pet food, etc. at discounts.  They ship free for US orders of $20 or more.  They also ship internationally.  Just enter code WAL660 at check out.    Plus, there are helpful product reviews.   And more free:  iherb offers a variety of FREE PRODUCTS to sample, so be sure to select one with your order. www.iherb.com -- check it out.
Also download a FREE Juice and Smoothie Recipe eBook, and view hundreds of short videos on a variety of raw food and health topics on this site: http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?af=1383344

Just watching my wheatgrass grow,
Southwest Desert Blogger
C. (c)2011

No comments:

Post a Comment